POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Smooth blending question : Smooth blending question Server Time
5 Aug 2024 10:26:38 EDT (-0400)
  Smooth blending question
From: How Camp
Date: 7 Oct 2002 15:55:27
Message: <3da1e6af@news.povray.org>
I think I already know the answer to this, but I figure I should ask, just
to be sure:

I want to create an orthographic scene (looking at the xy-plane) in the
following manner.  With a black background, I want to scatter some specific
xy points around the scene, each with a corresponding grayscale color (black
to white).  No problem.  However, if two points are 'close' to each other,
I'd like their proximity to affect the color blending in some smooth
fashion.

You could think of this as creating a heightfield based on these points - if
a white point is very close to a dark gray point, the color should fall off
smoothly and rapidly between the two.  In some sense, I guess it would be
rather like defining a 3D gradient pigment_map where the color falls of in
each direction from the indicated point.  In my case, I don't need it to be
a volumetric pigment, just some planar representation will suffice.

I've attempted this using various methods and came close via blobs, but it
still looks pretty poor...  Any idea how to achieve this?

- How